filming in south dakota sep a closer look sep locations sep crew and service listings sep resources

Film Permits  |  State Agencies  |  State Laws - General

State Laws General 

Speed Limits The maximum speed limit on interstate highways, except urban areas which are posted near Sioux Falls, Rapid City and North Sioux City, is 75 mph.  On most other highways, the maximum speed limit is 65 mph.

Seat Belts
South Dakota law requires drivers and front seat passengers to use seat belts. A passenger restraint system is also required for infants and children. 

It is unlawful for a person under 18 years of age to drive or ride on a motorcycle unless that person wears an approved safety helmet.  Eye protection devices must be worn by all operators and passengers of all motorcycles.

Alcoholic Beverages
The legal drinking age for all alcoholic beverages is 21. Malt beverages are available on- and off-sale 7 a.m. to 2 a.m. Monday through Sunday morning. On Sundays, liquor and wine are sold on-sale in restaurants only, 11 a.m. to midnight. Package liquor sales on Sunday are allowed only by city or county ordinance.
Some Indian reservations are alcohol-free environments. Please check with tribal offices before importing alcohol onto reservations.

Animal Handling
Production companies importing animals into South Dakota must contact two state agencies. A bill of sale or proof of lawful possession must be provided to:
Law Enforcement
Specialist Division of Wildlife
South Dakota Department of Game, Fish & Parks
523 E Capitol Avenue
Pierre, SD 57501
Phone: (605) 773-3381
Fax: (605) 773-6245
In addition, a state or federal health certificate must be provided from the state of origin to:
State Veterinarian
South Dakota Animal Industry Board
411 S Fort Street
Pierre, SD 57501
Phone: (605) 773-3321
Fax: (605) 773-5459
Risk Management When utilizing State of South Dakota resources, you will be required to enter into an agreement which will include hold harmless and indemnification language and which may require that you provide certain types of insurance coverage. You may also be required to follow guidelines pertaining to safety and loss control. For more information, contact the Film Office.

Unemployment Insurance
The South Dakota Department of Labor administers the state unemployment insurance system. On a quarterly basis, employers report wages paid to employees, submit unemployment contributions due, and pay a separate "Investment in South Dakota's Future Fee." The Future Fee payments are used for research and other economic development grants.

Covered employers must report all wages paid to employees, and unemployed workers can use all wages earned to establish their entitlement to unemployment insurance benefits. If a worker earns less than $100 with any employer, that employee is exempt from charges for any benefits that may be paid based on those wages.

Employees hired in their home state may work in South Dakota for up to 90 days and still have their wages reported to their home state. If the time exceeds 90 days, then all wages are reportable to South Dakota. Workers hired in South Dakota must be reported to South Dakota.
For more information on unemployment insurance in South Dakota, contact:
South Dakota Department of Labor
Tax Chief
PO Box 4730
Aberdeen, SD 57402-4730
Phone: (605) 626-2312
Fax: (605) 626-2322
Workers' Compensation South Dakota requires all employers to insure their employees for workers' compensation coverage. Production companies from other states temporarily working in South Dakota can extend their workers' compensation coverage for their employees if a reciprocity agreement exists between their home state and South Dakota. Those states include: Colorado, Montana, Nevada, North Dakota, Oregon, Utah, Washington and Wyoming. For more information, contact:
South Dakota Division of Labor and Management
Kneip Building
700 Governors Drive
Pierre, SD 57501-2291
Phone: (605) 773-3681
Fax: (605) 773-4211 
Child Labor For information on current child labor laws contact:
South Dakota Division of Labor and Management
Kneip Building
700 Governors Drive
Pierre, SD 57501-2291
Phone: (605) 773-3681
Fax: (605) 773-4211
Pyrotechnics/Fire Control For information on issues relating to pyrotechnics and fire control, contact the South Dakota Film Office.
shadow r frnt
shadow bttm
South Dakota Film Office  |  711 E. Wells Avenue   |  Pierre, SD 57501  |  V: 605.773.3301  |  |  sitemap